Firstly, what is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation.
Why is it important?
Because optimising your website increases the traffic your website receives from Search Engines.
Here are 5 tips to get you started:
- If possible, include keywords in your domain.
- Include keywords in your blog post URLs, for example, www.yourdomain.com/basic-seo-tips-for-small-business is better than www.yourdomain.com/post-121. Also include keywords in your content and title (tags).
- Make sure you have a blog in the first place! Every time you write a blog post that includes a few relevant keywords, you’re increasing your chances of people being able to find your business on search engines. Why? Well, blogs usually do pretty well on search engines like Google because they’re updated regularly. Search Engines love fresh content!
- Optimise Images. Add ‘alt’ tags and a title to all of your images and make sure to optimise the size of your images, since Google has incorporated site speed in ranking of Search Results.
- Make your content shareable. When you have more quality sites linking to your website (inbound) and you are linking to other quality websites (outbound) you will find your website ranked better on the SERP (search engine’s results page). Likes, comments, +1s, repins, retweets, etc., all play a role in the weight given to your links. Make sure that you have social media sharing links on your page so that your content will be easy to share.